Saturday, October 28, 2006

Jewelry Sales

Well the new web site has been up and running for almost 2 weeks now and no more kinks have surfaced that I am aware of. This is good news.

The open house I hosted in my home went well and I received lots of good comments on the web site design and on my jewelry designs. I had 6 customers who wanted special orders and some of them were in multiples. I guess now I have to get to work!

I have 3 more shows upcoming in November and now I'm wondering how I'm going to have enough new material for them to be profitable. I guess this is why we have 24 hours in a day.

I'm always trying to trend what is selling so that I can make more of that type of item, but at this last show, a few things sold that I had made last year...go figure...I was just about to tear them apart and design something new. What I can tell you is that gold and silver items sold about equally which is different than last year when it was mostly silver items that were selling.

If there is any advise I could give someone new in the jewelry design business it would be to create what you would wear...now I expand that and create items that myself or my mother would wear, since she tends to raid the jewelry stash whenever she needs a piece of jewelry to go with a particular outfit. She and I do have somewhat differing tastes in jewelry...hers more simple and understated and mine is a little bit more bold, so we make a good pair. My mother-in-law however will wear most anything I create, because I created it. My husband is my critic and that is the role I place him in. I try out new designs and colors on him...okay, he doesn't wear them, he just has an eye for designs that look good and he will be honest with me. If he doesn't like it, I go back to the design board and start over until I get it right.

I just can't go wrong with family who support me in almost anything that makes me happy, except that now they want me to paint more pictures. Not sure how to do that and make jewelry. Maybe if I start making small paintings that people could wear...now that would be interesting. :-) -d

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin