Friday, June 26, 2009

The Countdown Begins - Part 1

Okay, the countdown began on April 15th but now with only 3 days to go it’s down to hours. A little background for those of you new reading this, I was part of a massive layoff at my work in April. I was one of the unlucky ones asked to stay until June 30th. Only those that have been in this situation would understand that statement. To watch as your friends and work associates leave and know that you should be with them is a traumatic experience in and of itself, but to have to stay to help clean up and reorganize is just cruel. Not sure why I was asked to stay as within two weeks I had transitioned all my work to other associates and still had two more months left. I couldn’t just leave unless I took them to court as I would have lost my severance, so my husband and I made the decision that I would stay. They could pay me to blog and tweet. Numerous times I talked to my boss to ask for work or help with other projects and nothing was forthcoming, so I didn’t feel bad cruising the internet all day.

My desk is packed and I’ve been taking a few things home each night. Of course I have no place for all this stuff at home, but feel I need to keep it. Included is books I’ll probably never read again, work momentos, work awards, files of old performance reviews and just other stuff I was not ready to get rid off. It’s an unusual feeling to not have work yet be at work and know that you have a ton of things to do at home.

I’m still a little pissed and angry, but come July 1st the new door will open, I’ll be able to breath and move forward mentally and let the past drop away. I will miss my friends that are left that I see daily, but we have already made plans for lunches throughout the Summer. I know where to find them and will be staying in touch. So, yes I’m sad to be leaving a job of 12 ½ years and excited to start a new chapter in my life. It is time and I am ready.

What will I do next you ask? Come back later and I’ll continue the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin