Sunday, June 21, 2009

Trying New Techniques

I'm always learning new ways to do things or maybe just easier ways, but this year has been all about trying new things. I've started doing more altered art jewelry (not for sale at this time, but soon). You might call it my hobby vs. business. Sometimes we all just need some type of break.

So I started with the art collages between glass and then soldering around them to create a pendant. These are fun and challenging all at the same time. Working with the solder was a new thing for me and I still don't have that soldering gun mastered, but I'll keep working on it. In the meantime, family and friends can get soldered pendants dirt cheap (my cost or free) while I'm perfecting my skills.

Next I ventured into art on bamboo tiles. Okay, similar to the art between glass, but much different as you use glue and glaze stuff. It's messy, but I'm getting the hang of it. Last week, I found some glass tiles that you glue your image on the back so that it shows through magnified. I have to say this was fun and pretty easy. I'll provide links at the end of this post if you are interested in joining in the fun and want to know where to find all these great items.

Since I'll be watching my nephew for a few weeks before he spends part of the summer with his mother, I'm on the look out for kid friendly activities. Now he is 11 and not really into coloring and fingerpainting, so I'll have to look a little bit harder. What do 11 year olds do during the Summer besides ride their bike and go swimming?

I did order some scrabble tiles and thought for an art project he could glue images to the back of them and then add some magnets. He could take them back when visiting his mom to give as gifts. If some turn out good, I may even add a pendant bail. So we will see and I'm sure you will hear all about our adventures.

Here are some pic's of what I've been playing with. Some of the images are my watercolor paintings.

Just dry bamboo tiles that I haven't added the wire for making into a pendant.
Here are the links:
For Memory Slides and bamboo tiles - http://www.rubbernation.com/servlet/StoreFront
The soldering tape, solder iron and lead free solder I found at - http://www.bigmsg.com/ any stained glass dealer would have this.
The Glass Tile kit came from Annie Howes - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5262601
The digital images from Piddix - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=46139
For the bamboo slides I used 3 dimensional glue (scrapbook aisle) and mod podge that I purchased at Michael's.
Remember to always keep learning and keep it fresh. Love what you do or don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin