Sunday, March 03, 2013

Sunday Breakfast Casserole

Well, this morning I woke up and decided to actually cook breakfast and not just have a bowl of cereal. Since it was after 9 am...yes I did sleep in, it would have to be a late breakfast and since I'm a bit lazy in the morning decided to go for the good old breakfast casserole. Now if you haven't made a breakfast casserole before there are tons of recipes out on the internet but I have devised one that works for me since it is just hubby and I and didn't want a large pan of leftovers.



This recipe will feed 6 so it is very economical.

You will need a 9 x 9 or similar size pan. I used my Fiestaware one. 

1/2 Green Bell Pepper diced
1/2 Medium Onion diced
1/2 lb ground sausage cooked and crumbed (I used 2 sausage patties since that is what I had)
1 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used a 4 cheese blend)
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3 slices of bread
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your pan with a spray oil such as Pam.

Saute your diced green pepper and onion until just tender. My sausage patties were the pre-cooked kind but I heated them up as they were frozen and then diced them. Set these aside.

In a mixing bowl whip eggs, add salt and pepper then the milk. Whip all together with fork or wire whisk.

Rip your bread slices into pieces and put an even layer on the bottom of your sprayed or oiled pan. Layer your sausage, cooked onion and pepper and 1 cup of the cheese over the bread. Pour the egg/milk mixture over the top and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. The edges will be slightly brown and the middle will not wiggle. You could also do the knife trick and stick it in the middle and if it comes out clean it is done.

This is also good to make up the night before, cover it and have in the refrigerator ready to pop in the oven when you get up.

This was perfect for a Sunday brunch. I added a couple slices of bacon and you could add some fruit. How else could you feed 6 people breakfast on 6 eggs, 2 slices of sausage and 3 pieces of bread? Now you can.

If you don't like peppers and onions...leave them out or add in some different cooked veggies such as zucchini, mushrooms, a few sun dried tomatoes chopped up (yum), smoked salmon instead of the sausage, frozen hash browns instead of the bread.....so many options.

Now I'm ready to tackle the day. Oh, that's right it's Sunday.....I can be lazy all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin